Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Love of Movement

As a child, my mom always signed me up for dance class. Once or twice a week, I'd ballet, tap, or tumble the afternoon away. The ballet was a little boring for me, then I discovered tumbling. Oh, yeah, cartwheels, back bends, walk overs...oh boy. Loved It!

When I hit the double digits, I discovered gymnastics. Wow, not just the tumbling mat, there was equipment to hang from, swing from, and vault over. This was great fun. I spent my afternoons in highschool in the gynmnastics gym, enjoying movement. I really loved the challenge of learning a new move. I'd need to gain strength, flexibility and speed for each new "trick". But I'd work hours, days, and weeks to master a new skill. Overall, I spent most of my teenage years working out and feeling strong (internally and externally).

Once I graduated from high school, the competitive gymnastics stopped for me (I'm almost 5'9''...a little tall for a collegiate gymnast). And working out pretty much stopped for me too. When college began, I felt a whole lot of stress, anxiety, and physical unease. I really didn't know what it was all about, but I struggled a great deal. Then my second semester in college I signed up for a healthy living class. I thought it was book work of healthy living...you know, learn about protein, carbs, etc. Well, it was a two hour class, two days a week. The first hour was book work and the second hour was jogging on the indoor track! OH, no..... I have asthma, running is not for me! I went to a community college, so there were "old" people in my class. Even two grandmothers!! Well if they could run/walk for the hour, I could too.

So, I began jogging a lap, then walking a lap. Moved to jogging two laps, walking one lap. You get it.....I slowly increased the jogging...pretty slow, but jogging just the same. In the end I was able to run 3 whole miles with out stopping!!! What was most amazing though, was how I felt. My stress and anxiety decreased greatly. I became more calm, focused, and felt better inside and out. What I learned about myself, is that I was born to move.

Since that class back in 1984, I have been exercising every few days. I still have asthma, but I listen to my body and go at MY pace. I love muscle classes. The feeling of strength and power!! But most of all, keeping my body moving keeps me feeling sane, calm, settled, focused, etc. When I begin feeling out of sorts....I go to the gym.

1 comment:

My Time to Blossom said...

Dodie What an inspiration you are to me. You are too humble. You didn't mention you have taught aerobics for twenty years! You are amazing!